Saturday, March 22, 2014

Rover in Oak and Zircote and Brass

While finished the scales on a  JK Rover A chunk of it fell out!


It was deep enough i thought about taking them off and starting again but I'd used my (so far) favorite wood combo on them: Zircote and Oak with brass pins. It is my last of both woods for a while, so I thought i'd try and salvage it


You can see how it cracked and exposed the rear pin/lanyard tube here

I epoxied the piece back in and shifted up my sanding grit to take it easier on the little fella.

I have to say i'm happy with the way it came out, however with that underlining fault i'm not happy passing it on to someone else, shame, looks like I just earned myself my very own pocket knife! I'm so upset : D


I we ahead and made an inside the pocket sheath with clip (v3.0 at this point) pretty happy with the results of it as well



As you can see the fault itself is invisible.



And pretty!


Moral of the story, some woods (like Zircote) don't do well on very low grits. Also while 40 grit might speed up a lot of work it's also a little to harsh as a starting grit for my taste, I'm moving back up to 80...maybe 60 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment